Welcome to Smog Check Coupon

Coupons + MORE!
You will find more than just coupons on our site.

You can find Smog Check Coupons and Smog Check Tips on how to prepare your vehicle for before a smog inspection or learn about the differences between the types of smog checks and types of smog check stations.


Consumer Assistance Program (CAP)



What is the Consumer Assistance Program (CAP)

The Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) was put together by the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) to aid consumers when their vehicle fails a smog inspection. Consumers may choose to retire a qualified vehicle and receive $1,000 or $1,500 if the consumer meets low income eligibility guidelines. CAP also provides financial assistance up to $500 towards certain emissions-related repairs to qualified consumers who own a vehicle that fails its biennial (every other year) Smog Check inspection.,


Where can I find the Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) application?
Download the CAP application here, complete and submit application to address provided on application. You can also visit BAR's Website at www.smogcheck.co.gov or contact the Department of Consumer Affairs' Consumer Information Center at (800) 952-5210.



How does one qualify to recieve the financial aid to repair their car or retire a vehicle?
1) Your vehicle must fail the biennial (every other year) Smog Check inspection.

2) You must meet income eligibility requirements.


If you meet those two requirements you may receive up to $500 towards certain emissions-related repairs, IF APPROVED.

There is a co-payment involved. For complete information download the CAP application here.

For Vehicle Retirement program qualificatoins download the CAP application here.



How long is the application process?
Usually, applications are processed within 30 days from the date of receipt. If approved, you will receive a Letter of Eligibility which will provide specific instructions on how to retire or repair your vehicle.



Can I retire or repair my vehicle at any dismantler or repair shop?
Nope. You must retire or repair your vehicle at a BAR contracted dismantler or Gold Shield station under agreement with BAR.


Where can I find a dismantler or Gold Shield station?
You can find a list of authorized dismantlers or Gold Shield stations at the Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) link located in the "Quick Hits" section at www.smogcheck.ca.gov or call the Consumer Information Center at (800) 952-5210



More Information about the Consumer Assistance Program (CAP)

For additional information visit BAR's Website at www.smogcheck.ca.gov or contact the Department of Consumer Affairs' Consumer Information Center (CIC) Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:50 p.m. at (800) 952-5210.